Some Book Reviews

6:38 PM

  


Everyone,
So I've been meaning to do these book reviews for forever now and one of them I'm pretty excited to tell you about. Enjoy!

                                        The Captive Maiden

The Captive Maiden  -     By: Melanie Dickerson

Let's me just say this book needs to be read by any Medieval/Christian teenage girl, who likes fairy tales. I was a little skeptic when I got this book, because sometimes authors re-create these stories (this was a Cinderella story), and make them awkward, but I totally fell in love with this story. 

It was humorous at times (which is always good in a story), some romance without it getting too mushy, and of course a good fairy tale always has a villain. This was a book that kept you on the edge of your seat, made you like the characters more and more (or less and less depending on who you're talking about), and slowly drew you into a whole different world. A must read and worth your money and time. LOVE IT! 


About the Book: 

Happily Ever After ...Or Happily Nevermore? Gisela's childhood was filled with laughter and visits from nobles such as the duke and his young son. But since her father's death, each day has been filled with nothing but servitude to her stepmother. So when Gisela learns the duke's son, Valten---the boy she has daydreamed about for years---is throwing a ball in hopes of finding a wife, she vows to find a way to attend, even if it's only for a taste of a life she'll never have. To her surprise, she catches Valten's eye. Though he is rough around the edges, Gisela finds Valten has completely captured her heart. But other forces are bent on keeping the two from falling further in love, putting Gisela in more danger than she ever imagined. 

Born Of Persuasion 
Born of Persuasion. Price of Privilege Series #1   -     By: Jessica Dotta

This book captured my attention mainly because I heard it was sorta like a book Jane Austen would have written. It was of sorts, but at the end left me terribly confused. The plot was good but sadly God was never mentioned except for a couple times. I think that a good Christian book needs...
1. a good plot
2. humor at times but in a good way
3. Christian values, where at the end of the book you feel inspired

This book had #1 but 2-3 was very limited. Not something I would recommend reading...

About: 

Julia Elliston's is an orphan, and unmarried in a time when women are legal property of their fathers, husbands, and guardians. She finds herself at the mercy of an anonymous guardian who plans to establish her as a servant in far-off Scotland.
With two months to think of a better plan, Julia's first choice to marry her childhood sweetheart is denied. But when a titled dowager offers to introduce Julia into society, a realm of possibilities opens. However, treachery and deception are as much a part of Victorian society as titles and decorum, and Julia quickly discovers her present is deeply entangled with her mother's mysterious past. Before she knows what's happening, Julia finds herself a pawn in a deadly game between two of the country's most powerful men. With no laws to protect her, she must unravel the secrets on her own. But sometimes truth is elusive and knowledge is deadly.

Note: I got this book free  from Tyndale but all thoughts on this review were my own

NIV Bible 

NIV Animal-Print Collection Bible, Italian Duo-Tone, Elastic Closure, Zebra/Pink  -











I loved this NIV Bible! It lays out flat so it does't close when you're trying to read and the words of Christ are in red. My only problem was the fact that the words were really small. My eyes get sore when reading tiny type so I had to squint, but other then that I really enjoyed the Bible! 
The cover is soft and almost feels like leather, a pink bookmark and stretchy hot-pink band make it even better. 

You Might Also Like

2 of your thoughts

  1. Cool! :) The first one sounds really interesting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really wanna read the first one now! Thanks for recommending it :)

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you're commenting! I absolutely love to read every single one you send my way, and I will try to answer as many as possible.
Feel free to share a prayer request or give your opinions on a post.

"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith"
Ephesians 2:8