Define Love.

9:07 AM

picture via the internet 


Lately I've been looking around at the world and I wonder... what is love? Not, "what does the world define love as?" or love as in "boyfriend/girlfriend", but love in general. I've done some searching and so this post is born. Before I go on please do one thing for me.... probably not everyone reading will agree with me so if you want, please comment below after reading with your opinion. I would love to hear how you define it! 

OK so here goes...
There is different types of love I think...
love between a husband and a wife
love between family members
two friends
a boyfriend and his girl
 when a girl says, "Oh I just love that really handsome guy *insert name of famous man actor here*....
and God (God is love ~ 1 John 4:8)

So what does this love mean? What does it mean to love someone - not just a spouse or a significant other in general. In all honesty I think the word "love" can be easily thrown around - too much (but that is for a different post). 
Here is how the lovely dictionary defines love...

love

1. a profoundly tender, passionate affection for another person.
2.a feeling of warm personal  attachment or deep affection, as for parent, child, 
or friend.


Though the dictionary has never failed to help me, this time I find it quite useless. Love is a feeling, but I feel that there is more to it. There is....
Love is patient
Love is kind
Love does not envy, boast, or become proud
Love does not dishonor others
Love is not easily angered
Love does not constantly bring up the wrongs of others 
Love is not evil, but loves truth
Love trusts, hopes, and perseveres
Love is not out to please itself

This comes from the Bible, dear readers. No one can be that all the time - no matter how hard to try. We must try, but still there will be mess ups - luckily though, there is one who is. He is our Leader and Guide - the One to help us show love to others. God. The Bible says God is love. He defines love itself.
He will show us how to show love to others. Love isn't just a feeling - it's actions, it's how we live our lives for God. It's serving others and not ourselves.
Hopefully this post has made a bit of sense. I feel strongly about it and I'm praying you get my meaning. 
So... that is love. I'm defining it by the Bible - the only perfect book in the world. Do you disagree or agree? 
I would love to hear what you think!


Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.  It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.  Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.  It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away."
1 Corinthians 13:4-8


You Might Also Like

4 of your thoughts

  1. Totally agree! You go, Kara! LOVE YOU

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful blog! I love the design and ambience! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. great post and great thoughts! The Bible has the perfect description of love.

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you're commenting! I absolutely love to read every single one you send my way, and I will try to answer as many as possible.
Feel free to share a prayer request or give your opinions on a post.

"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith"
Ephesians 2:8