My Thoughts On Sherlock

9:12 AM


Hola readers! Fans of Sherlock beware... this post may make some of you upset, but also haters of Sherlock beware - this may make some of you upset. Below is my views on the BBC TV show series Sherlock, and hopefully it will all sound good in the end, because I really have mixed thoughts. Please, please, comment when you're finished reading so I can hear your opinions as well! Honestly I may be wrong on some points, and I want to hear more than my thoughts. 

Ok so here we go *turns on Sherlock theme song on Youtube to get me in the mood*....

Note: There is no spoilers, so if you haven't seen the show then you should be good ☺

So Netflix had a free trial and I grabbed the offer to specifically watch the awesome Sherlock Holmes (Benedict Cumberbatch), and his best friend Dr. Watson (Martin Freeman). This show is the one almost everyone I know is talking about - I wanted to see what the big deal was.
I won't go off in how much I like/dislike certain episodes and I'll try not quote anything - I'll just get right to my thoughts on the entire show.
So first off - I love the actors in Sherlock. They were brilliant and left me wanting more. Martin Freeman and Benedict Cumberbath did an amazing job, and at times I couldn't stop laughing even long after I had shut down my laptop, (think "The Empty Hearse" and a certain detective faking a french accent). At times yes, the show got very dark, but the mood was always lightened from a funny comment from Sherlock, or perhaps a facial expression from Dr. Watson (that only Martin Freeman could pull off). I even began to like Mycroft last night when I watched the first episode of season 3!
The mysteries were (and are) also very intriguing, and left me most of the time on the edge of my seat. They were full of suspense, and at times complex. I didn't like all the murder, but than isn't that what Sherlock is there for - to catch the killers? 
The violence wasn't all that bad either, and from my thoughts, not gory. You did see a dead body, or at times someone got shot, but this didn't bug me as some other things. 
Now, speaking of things bugging me and getting on my nerves were...
• the talk of people being gay
• the sometimes crude and vulgar language 
• an inappropriate scene here and there (those episodes I tried to skip) 

The above things. made. me. want. to. shut. down. my computer. forever. and never watch TV again. OK, I'm probably exaggerating a bit, but really - the show is brilliant, but plays around with things that could have been left out altogether. Yes, that stuff is out there, and yes we hear it out in the news everyday, but I don't want to see any more of it than I have to. It's wrong. God talks about this in the Bible. 

If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood is upon them. ~ Leviticus 20:13

Let there be no filthiness nor foolish talk nor crude joking, which are out of place, but instead let there be thanksgiving. ~ Ephesians 5:4

It's is really sad, when you can't just have Watson and Sherlock friends without people making comments about it. The good thing was though, that Watson everytime said, "I am not gay!" and never. ever. let anyone think he and Sherlock were anything but the best of friends - together solving crimes.

If all the elements I didn't like had been taken out I would readily want the show on my own shelf, as it is, it kinda turns me away from wanting to re-watch the show in the future. 
Again - I did enjoy the show and I skipped around with episodes (only watching about a one or two per season), but that doesn't mean I agree with everything that was said or done. It doesn't mean I will buy the show or ever watch it again. I might, but I have to really think - if it is against what I know and believe is truth, should I watch it? 

So what do you think? Have you seen the show and if not do you think you will ever? 





You Might Also Like

4 of your thoughts

  1. In spite of the "issues" there are with the moral content of the show, I have to admit... I love it. I gush about Sherlock any chance I get. I suppose the writing or acting or the "appeal" is enough to overcome my reservations. I do have opinions on being careful about what we watch, but always seem to get "in trouble" (with other readers, etc.) when I get too in-depth... so we'll leave it at that. :)

    I'm glad you shared, Kara. I respect and understand that this isn't "good TV" for everyone. It was fun to read your thoughts. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love the show to a certain amount, and I agree, the acting is very appealing - it makes you want to watch more! I would like to hear your opinions on being careful with what we watch, but that's Ok if you don't want to share them. =)
      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
    2. Growing up, I didn't watch anything that my parent's didn't see first and I think that's not a bad policy when it comes to movies/TV. It's always wise to at least know what you're getting into with entertainment. Sometimes I wonder why writers go where they do story wise, but I guess Hollywood wants us to think that all this is "normal." It's sad that's for sure.

      Always glad to comment - you put together a great post. :)

      Delete
    3. My parents were always the same with me, and as I get into my upper teen years they've been leaving the decision up to me - guiding me on what to watch, but letting me decide. I agree with what you said about Hollywood 100% - thanks so much for sharing. =)

      Delete


Comments make me smile, lift my spirits and give me the motivation to continue writing. In return I'll comment on your blog, because you're awesome and deserve it.