Are You Comprimising?

12:56 PM

The older I get the more I realize how hard it is to make decisions with even the simple things in life such as music, TV shows, what to blog about, etc, etc. Dressing modest as a girl is difficult, finding clean movies that you and your family can watch together is a challenge. 
The thing is at times I've found myself getting quite comfortable with the movies and songs that are around, with some of the negative content of media and the like. Not saying I like that they have bad stuff out there, but where I've come to accept it somewhat. This isn't right and I can be treading on dangerous waters. 
When we come to accept negative content or clothing styles we can be compromising some things important.....

when you (as a lady after God's heart) dress in skimpy shorts or tank tops you are compromising the virtuous thoughts of your fellow brothers in Christ. You are causing them to possibly fall into temptation. Just because everyone else is wearing the same thing doesn't make it worth the risk. 

when you continually watch shows or read books with harsh cursing, sexual content, and such, you could be compromising your pure thoughts. This could lead you to being tempted to use the language. Believe me - I have been tempted this way at times and so have my siblings. It is the reason we have to make sure that what we're watching or reading isn't going to cause us to do something that is wrong.  


You can't say times have changed, or the styles aren't like that  in Bible times, or there certainly wasn't any fangirls or fanboys back then.  God's rules haven't no matter how much we do. His words are in the Bible and spoken to our hearts - they were there at the beginning of time and will be forever. He says He never changes and He is the word - He will stand fast.  

I the LORD do not change ~ Malachi 3:6

This doesn't mean you're still not going to sin or become tempted - you will. This doesn't mean you need to stop watching all TV immediately, throw away all your shorts, etc - I'm just saying you need to proceed with caution.  When you decide on something that isn't 100% clean, wear low cut dresses (if you're a girl), flirt, or listen to music with lots of dishonoring things, then you must ask yourself - is the compromise really worth it?
No one can answer that for you - only God. Really the answer is that simple.  

You Might Also Like

2 of your thoughts

  1. Kara, thank you for being so straightforward and honest with this post! These are subjects that most people aren't willing to write about or at least prefer to stay ambiguous on. That being said, I think there's a positive side to keeping your thoughts, actions and words pure. It doesn't do any good to make sure that bad content isn't occupying our thoughts and words if we're not replacing it with truth (Matthew 12:43-45).

    The solution is not to tell ourselves to "not say bad words" or "not think impure thoughts" but rather focus on speaking words of truth (memorizing Scripture, speaking in kindness to others, etc...). Likewise, we should direct our thoughts toward truth. Memorize God's Word. Study God's Word. "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things" (Philippians 4:8).

    God bless!
    Dani from A Vapor in the Wind

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Danielle - your comments are always so encouraging and a blessing in my life!
    I see what you're saying and I think I will now write a blog post to be a part 2 to this one titled, "What To Do When You Realize The Compromise Isn't Worth It".
    Thank you again!
    God bless!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you're commenting! I absolutely love to read every single one you send my way, and I will try to answer as many as possible.
Feel free to share a prayer request or give your opinions on a post.

"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith"
Ephesians 2:8