When You Hold Onto The Hurtful Words

8:13 AM



Has a family member or friend said something to you so downgrading and hurtful a few years or months ago and you're still holding onto it? I am one of these people.
I've had a few people in my life say some things to me when I was a young teen and tween that has never truly left my mind. It had to do with my body size, clothes size, the way I sing, the type of books I read, my accent, etc. It hurt. A lot. I took their hurtful words seriously for so long.
I never really told anyone either. I thought I'd be OK and writing in my journal about it would help me overcome a few "simple" words people said to me.
Note: I take your words to heart. I take pretty much anything anyone says to me to heart. I struggle with even taking friendly criticism. This has always been something I've tried to overcome but a few hurtful words tore me down.
I let it effect what I wore, the music I listened to, and because those certain people said those certain things, I was determined to prove them wrong. This wasn't right because it really effected me. A lot.
My relationship with Jesus suffered even more so because I was so worried what people thought of me.
Just about the last year or so I finally overcame it. Or so I thought.
Just a few nights ago though, did it really hit me again. The hurtful conversations, and the words a stranger spoke to me as an eleven year old girl that really pained my heart. I wanted to cry about it all over again, to go back and stand up for myself, to beat myself up for some of the things that I said back. A lot went through my head at once honestly!

Have you ever had a similar experience? Do you know what I'm talking about? I'm sure some of you do. Let me just say - I feel the pain you are feeling, the hurtful stingers "simple" words can bring.
Never will the saying, "sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can't hurt me" ever ring true in my life. Words can hurt more then stones. Words leave bruises that stay there. Forever. We dwell on them and sometimes hold ourselves up to them.
I did. I still do.
Now I'm very ever so slowly realizing something though. News flash: The words are always going to be there and nothing can take away the pain. Nothing and no one that is except....
Jesus.

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds. Psalms 147:3

Jesus is the only person in this universe who can take away the hurt we feel inside. He will lift you off the floor and dry your tears. He will give you the healing you need. He will give you the strength to forgive the person who hurt you.
Yes. I said it. Forgive.
The truest healing comes from forgiveness. Only then will you experience true freedom, and that strength to forgive will only come through Jesus. I have to admit that at this moment this forgiveness thing isn't coming easy. It's so hard. Those people who I use to know have moved on. I haven't seen them in ages and the stranger who once said I had a loud singing voice I probably won't see on this earth again.
I wished I'd never let her telling me, "you sing so loud and your cousin is better," hurt me as much as it did, but I can't change it. I can only forgive.

"And whenever you stand praying, forgive, if you have anything against anyone, so that your Father also who is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses.” Mark 11:25

 I can't personally go up to the people who hurt me and say, "I forgive you", (not unless God gives me that chance of course). All I can remember about them right now is the hurt. I don't know what they're like now. That's the hard part.
But no matter. I do know that without Jesus and without forgiveness I won't really be free. And I want to feel the freedom that comes with forgiving! I don't want to hold onto these hurtful words any longer.
So if you're like me, I highly encourage - go to Jesus. Run straight into His arms. Allow Him to sweep you up and take you to the place where freedom and forgiveness is. Take the time to read the Bible, pray, and talk to a trusted mentor and friend (if you haven't already). And when it all boils down to it nothing says true forgiveness like confronting (if possible), the person who hurt you.
It won't be easy, but trust me - it's worth it!!!





You Might Also Like

3 of your thoughts

  1. Beautiful post! Yes, only in Jesus can our hurt truly be taken away!! Lovely reminder :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully written! So much truth here! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rachelle and Alyssa!!!!! ♥

      Delete

I'm so glad you're commenting! I absolutely love to read every single one you send my way, and I will try to answer as many as possible.
Feel free to share a prayer request or give your opinions on a post.

"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith"
Ephesians 2:8