The Bronte Plot {A Book Review}

8:31 AM

The Bronte Plot by Katherine Reay
Release date: 2015
Publisher: Zondervan


Lucy's job is one filled with selling rare books (think classics), and it's a job she loves.  She has a great boyfriend and all seems to be going pretty well in her life until suddenly the suspicious liberties she takes with the books are discovered. It get's her into heaps of trouble with her boyfriend and ruins her relationship with her boss. Lucy knows she has to change but doesn't know how.
Jame's grandmother unexpectedly takes Lucy to London with her for a literary adventure, and at first Lucy doesn't want to be a part of it. Despite her doubts she reluctantly agrees, and she finds a lot more on the trip then she thought she would.
Helen's wisdom and guidance may be just what Lucy needs to battle the ghosts of her past and put right her mistakes.

Books where classic literature are involved always makes me want to immediately jump right on board! I am a huge classic reader and the title alone (The Bronte Plot) made me want to read the book. I love the story Jane Eyre and Katherine Reay adds plenty of talk about that book, along with Wuthering Heights, mentions of Sherlock, a quick word about Poldark, Charles Dickens, Narnia, C.S Lewis, and the like - just my cup of tea! And to top it all off, most of the book happens in London. Ahh... I was looking forward to this read!
 I'm not a huge of just the genre titled "fiction" though. Usually you find me reading "Suspense Romantic Fiction", or "Romantic Fiction" (you get the picture). Rarely just "fiction".
The Bronte Plot doesn't have a whole lot of romance, there isn't a ton of action, yet still that doesn't make it necessarily a bad read.
Lucy is haunted by the mistakes she made, and Helen wants to right her own wrongs that happened when she was young.
I could relate to Lucy's love of the literary classics and having to watch that she didn't get so caught up in the fiction world that she forgot about real life, but at times I did get bored. I read the book in about a week (which is a long time compared to when some books I read take only two days).
 I wanted tad more redemption on Lucy's part, her relationship with James to go a bit farther, but otherwise I think many will enjoy this peaceful read. It was at times boring for  me, yes, but it was a sweet story too that will take you on a gentle ride.
Even if that isn't my favorite kind of story I will say I at times need a break from the suspenseful novels. I liked the book about average, enjoyed Lucy's character, and rooted as she searched for what is truly important in life.
Also the quote from C.S Lewis "further up and further in" and the search for deeper meaning was very inspiring!

I got this book free from BookLook and all thoughts are my own

You Might Also Like

2 of your thoughts

  1. Sounds like a book I might like! I love reading classics so a fiction book about classics would probably be just my thing! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm sure you'd like it then! The whole book has tons of classic books mentioned and each one I knew and either loved, have read, or watched on TV. =)

      Delete


Comments make me smile, lift my spirits and give me the motivation to continue writing. In return I'll comment on your blog, because you're awesome and deserve it.