What Worship Really Means (A Post Revisited)

8:03 AM



When you think of worship what is the first thing that comes to mind? For me it's singing to Bethel Music in my quiet time, or praising God with the song "How Great is Our God" with my church.
 We often times define worship as something we do only at church (singing during the time of worship) but the simple truth is that worship is more then song - it's that and so much more! 


What exactly is worship?

wor·ship --- the feeling or expression of reverence and adoration for a deity.

" God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.” John 4:24

Worship can come in...
prayer
song
a cry out to God 

Worship is showing honor to God, revering Him, glorifying what He has done in your life. We can worship anytime - in church, outside, our room during quiet time, in the car when an amazing song comes on, when we cry out to Jesus because we don't see the answers... anywhere! Worship just shouldn't be in church, it should be everywhere! We should worship God with all our hearts - not defining it by place or what genre of Christian music we're using to worship God with. Worship music is just one form of worship! Lots of Christian music can give us a time of worship. Lecrae is worshiping God when He sings "All I Need Is You", Skillet is praising God as they sing "Fire and Fury". Worship and praise comes in many genres, many forms. 

My mouth is filled with your praise, declaring your splendor all day long. ~ Psalm 71:8

Worship can be done quiet time in the morning and just pouring out our hearts to Jesus. Worship can be singing to God by ourselves in our room with or without music on our ipod, with or without an amazing voice meant for American Idol or The Voice. Worship is simply showing God how much we love Him. 

“Sing praises to the Lord, for he has done gloriously; let this be made known in all the earth." Isaiah 12:5


It shouldn't be a chore or ritual we do every Sunday because the worship leader get's up and announces it, and it doesn't even have to be anything huge. You're just showing (and telling) God how much He means to you.
And let me tell you this - besides meeting my Savior - I can't wait to get to heaven and raise my voice with thousands of others and spend time worshiping Jesus.
I get a taste of that at concerts, and man, it's one of the best things ever. There is nothing on earth like it!

"Oh come, let us worship and bow down; let us kneel before the Lord, our Maker!" Psalm 95:6



Little side note: I posted this back a few years ago and thought I'd revise and share again. Check out the original version bu typing "worship" in the search box. ☺

You Might Also Like

2 of your thoughts

  1. Several years ago I began asking myself and searching through the Bible to figure out what "worship" meant. I came to the same conclusion you have written above. It is so much more than just singing songs in church! Worship should characterize everything I do--It should be a life style! Thanks for sharing Kara!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started searching about worship too a few years back (hence why I wrote this post back in 2013 I think it was) I just felt like reposting because my heart has been on this a lot of late. =)
      Thanks for commenting Lydia!

      Delete


Comments make me smile, lift my spirits and give me the motivation to continue writing. In return I'll comment on your blog, because you're awesome and deserve it.