I Don't Know if We Know The True Meaning of Worship

7:24 AM

picture via the world wide web


Back in the late 80s or early 90s, my Dad (at that time stationed inn Japan) walked into a Japanese Christian church. He didn't understand the language - only the word "hallelujah". And that is what they sang, over and over. "hallelujah, hallelujah..." My Dad said it was one of the most worshipful experiences ever.
This has got me thinking - a lot. Do we (and I am including myself big time here), do we in America and other free countries even understand what it truly means to worship? Do we? There's many types of worship but right now I'm talking about going to church and singing with other believers. I'm a very judgmental person and it's one of my major faults. It's what I deal with.
I judge the type of music at a church easily. When I went for a few Sundays to a very conservative Baptist church back when I was eleven, the music was terribly slow ( very, very slow) and no one raised their hands like at the church I was used to. I wondered why no one smiled and everyone was solemn.
Then you go to some churches where everyone is dancing and the music is far from slow. Everyone has a different worship style. Is one right and the other wrong? Not really, and that's my point.
We all worship differently, and it's easy to assume how everyone else is doing it is wrong and "our" church is right.
I think if your heart is in the right place (at the throne of Jesus Christ), there is no right or wrong. But this takes me back to the title of the post, do you and I really know the true meaning of worship? Do  we know what it's like to cast it all to God and sing the same word over and over with as much praise as the most popular praise song in 2016?
I don't know if I do. I don't know if I truly see the meaning of worship as God intended. I find myself judging the words, judging the people, judging myself.
And that's not worship.
Oh come, let us sing to the Lord; let us make a joyful noise to the rock of our salvation! Let us come into his presence with thanksgiving; let us make a joyful noise to him with songs of praise! For the Lord is a great God, and a great King above all gods. In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. The sea is his, for he made it, and his hands formed the dry land. ... Psalm  95:1-6
Worship is dancing to the Lord like no one is watching (David in the Bible did that remember?), raising your hands in complete and utter surrender to God. Worship is singing "hallelujah" to the King of kings when people are at your door wanting your life because of Who you follow. Worship is surrendering the fact that your future is unknown after you graduate High School but the Maker's got it under control.
Worship isn't about the words, the genre, whether or not you're raising your hands - it's about loving the Father and praising Him. And while nothing beats singing with hundreds of people to Jesus in an auditorium, you can get that same "high", that same feeling of complete love in your bedroom with How Great is Our God on full blast or with a few friends and a guitar.
And the great thing is, "hallelujah" is understood in any language. So you can sing that too.
 

You Might Also Like

3 of your thoughts

  1. Thank you for this, Kara! This was beautiful. :)

    rockandminerals4him.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! You're awesome! ♥
      Blessings,
      Kara

      Delete
  2. Amen!

    Allie D.
    www.alliesblogdesigns.blogspot.com
    www.friendlovesatalltimes.blogspot.com
    www.sincerelyallied.blogspot.com
    www.spreadingmyjoy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete


Comments make me smile, lift my spirits and give me the motivation to continue writing. In return I'll comment on your blog, because you're awesome and deserve it.