Should Christians Celebrate Halloween? ||The Three W's Part One||

9:05 AM



Hola readers!

I'm doing a three part series I'm calling, " On Witches, Wizards, and a whole lot of Wisdom," shortened to the Three W's. I started reading Harry Potter for the first time over a month ago after hearing so much controversy about it from fellow Christians. So now - after weeks of research, and google searches - I've read up on real witchcraft, demons, satanism, and last but the most important: Biblical truth. After a month of research we have three part post coming in the follow order...


  1. Should Christians Celebrate Halloween?
  2. Harry Potter vs. Real Life Witchcraft 
  3. Should Christians Watch Harry Potter? 

*Cracks Knuckles* Shall we begin?

/////

Halloween is thought to have came from the Druids who worshiped the Lord of the Dead every October 31st hundreds of years ago. If you've seen Merlin BBC or are into Authorian mythology, then you may associate the Druids with magical people, but the Druids were really ancient Celts and the history of Halloween comes from them. 
October 31st, young boys traveled the neighborhood, begging for materials for their bonfires, and then at night people donned grotesque masks and at dark danced.
It was a time for the Lord of the Dead.

I'm sure already you can see a slight similarity with Halloween....

////  
 Aside from all this, Halloween is a serious time for witches and occultists - it's a time for working spells, . The holiday is highly anticipated, sometimes being the favorite day of the year for witches. "Witchcraft of the black kind is not far removed from Satanism...black witches have great power and are not to be taken lightly. They [may] exhume fresh graves and offer bodies in sacrifice to Satan." - Doreen Irving, former witch.

My reaction upon reading the quote

OK Readers, I know this sounds like something out of a Gothic book or something you'd watch in Merlin or another fantasy show, however, this was said by a former witch. I'm not making this up about Wicca and witches and spell casting - I got this from a real source about a real woman.
I also read about a former witch who, as she tried to leave the occult, had nightmares and visions and began to feel sick mentally. When a lady came to her and told her that her children would die the 12th of the month, the now former witch, realized she had to choose either God or witchcraft.
She chose God. 

So. Before we go anywhere else, I want to say that I believe that Wicca and witchcraft is a real, Satan-inspired, active, group of people in the United States and world (some saying around five million Wiccans exist).  I believe they really are talking to spirits and that Satan is giving them power.
And, as much as this may make you uncomfortable, as much as we as Christians want to avoid the spirit world, as much as we try to make it as harmless fun...

It isn't. 

The demons of the spirit world existed in the Bible, possessing people, speaking, tempting. Just take a look in Leviticus, Revelation, and Acts for just a taste of what I'm talking about. I know some Christians say that was then and this is now and we don't see that type of stuff now, but I believe it's as real today as it was when Jesus walked the earth.
I have so many stories that I can use as an example of this, but I'll just use one and save the rest for the other posts in the series.

Before my dad was a Christian he tried different drugs and was on alcohol. While in the apartment of a friend, a man he'd never seen before walked into the room. My dad tried to get up from his chair but couldn't move or do anything. The man looked at my dad and said, "I control your destiny," and then looked to be drawing pictures on paper. My dad was then able to get up and he went into the bathroom. When he walked back out the man was gone but the paper the man had been drawing on was there. On the paper he'd drawn my dad as a demon and himself as Satan.
I truly believe that this is my dad's closest encounter with the evil-spirit world.
 
I'm just going to go ahead and be honest: to lightly throw this topic aside is foolish. 



| For we are not fighting against flesh-and-blood enemies, but against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against mighty powers in this dark world, and against evil spirits in the heavenly places. Ephesians 6:12 

But what does this have to do with Halloween?


I don't want to start sounding like a history book (I really feel that's where these rambles are heading), and I don't want to throw out my ideas or point of view, but base it all on truth. 
I have to ask both you and myself: 

  • In participating in Halloween, are we publicizing the most important day in an occult? 
  • Are we mocking the God of life by celebrating a day that celebrates death? 
    ( In the Bible it says, "do not imitate evil." The Greek word for imitate translates, "act out." )
  • In ignoring the thought that Halloween may be wrong, are we ignoring the idea of a real and active demon and spirit world? 
After learning all this, after researching so much and reading the Bible, I really have to conclude that I'm not a fan of Halloween or celebrating it. I'm not a fan of decorating my house like death or dressing up with anything that represents the occult. I'm not a fan of Christians throwing Halloween aside without taking the time to think about the holiday and if they're ignoring God or if He's truly OK with what goes on October 31st. 
I'm not going to slam it in your face if this doesn't affect your decision to go trick-or-treating. I'm just asking that you think about my little    (OK. big) post here, that you see that Jesus conquered hell and death, that He's bigger then Wicca. 

But for a time Satan walks the earth and the spirit world of evil is very real. We're fighting in a war of good and evil - one that thankfully we know the outcome of because it says...

at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth,and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.Therefore, my beloved, just as you have always obeyed, not only in my presence, but now even more in my absence, continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling.… | Philippians 2: 10-12

The question I'm broaching in this post series isn't about about what seems fun and harmless...but what actually is and what actually isn't, and at this exact moment I'm talking about a holiday that is more then candy and dressing-up to those who actually understand what Halloween means. 

Don't be biased. I'm sorry but the choice yours. Now is not a time to sugar coat. 



What are your thoughts on Halloween? I'd love to chat!

And on a side note: If this post is triggering for you, I want you to know: Jesus holds more power then the demons. If you have Christ in your life, nothing - I repeat, nothing - can separate you from the love of the Father. 

You Might Also Like

15 of your thoughts

  1. I don't celebrate Halloween, but I do read Harry Potter because it is fictitious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fiction so not quite the same as Halloween - I agree! =)

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for writing about this and sharing! You did an amazing job with this post, have pretty much said what I've always thought about Halloween but couldn't put together in a way that made sense like this.
    I'm also curious about the next two posts, as those are topics that I've often wondered about, due to its popularity (and controversy) .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you Emily! For the longest time I didn't know how to explain it either, and I'm hoping that maybe, by reading the info I found on the holiday, it'll help people understand better why I'm against celebrating.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  3. I have read other posts and information on the origins of Halloween, but I have to say this was the most powerful. You really lay it out, and then actually challenge us to act. That is the best part. We live in a world of no absolute truth and 'what's right for you isn't right for me', and that takes away the concept of challenging each other, and encouraging each other in truth. So I really appreciate that. :)

    Also, you make the whole war between good and evil, and the supernatural reality very clear in this post, which is also so important. Honestly, when you point out the connection to Wicca and Satanism and the importance of the date to people involved in that, why is it even a question whether we could celebrate it or not?!

    Thanks again, and I'm looking forward to the upcoming posts in this series! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, after all I read, and seeing so many people saying, "Halloween is just 'fun,'" I couldn't help but write a post on it. It's so sad how people just don't take evil seriously and really don't take the time to find the meanings behind certain holidays or traditions such as Halloween.
      Thank you for commenting!

      Delete
  4. Hey Kara! I just came across your blog from G+ =D
    We don't celebrate Halloween. I agree with all you said. :) some people view Oct 31 as Satan's birthday x| It's pretty awful! I've always been glad we don't celebrate it. We don't celebrate Christmas either...but that's a different subject. Thanks for posting this! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Paige! Welcome to Beautifully Broken - I'm happy to meet you. <3
      Christmas is actually a post I wanted to get onto sometime myself - topic wise here on the blog. Someday I'd love to hear your thoughts!
      Thanks for commenting... <3

      Delete
  5. Powerfully spoken Kara!! Awesome job explaining it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much - I really appreciate it. <3 <3 <3

      Delete

  6. I am glad you wrote about this especially in your age group.
    I too am a Christian that does not celebrate Halloween at this time. We have encountered different environments that do different things during Halloween for children to still have fun with games and candy in safe environments. I get that, but there are so many variables one has to truly study for oneself and come to a decision and realize that those decisions can and do change over time. Or not. We choose our path on these things and having children makes a huge difference whether they are younger verses older makes a big difference.
    Now, as far as Harry Potter. I have a testimony there. I too was against reading the books for a time. Our young children got them in a book exchange at school. I let it go. Then our middle child before he could really read began wanting to read these books via cd's. So instead of banning them I chose at the time to choose to read them together as a family and discuss them as a family since they were so interested and what I enjoyed was not in their interests. We continued our journey and when it got to Order of the Phoenix. I said, "If I am going to read a book that big it is going to be the Bible." I believe because of that choice I was able to see Christ in the stories of Harry Potter and how the author was just using something to encourage children to go on a journey of good verses evil how it was given to her. Yes, it can be about witchcraft if we make it, but we can choose to teach where we are and teach about the witchcraft, but not focus on it. Take our children to Christ and let God do what He does best, save them. In Jesus name! Amen. They then become the best teachers for future generations, just like you my dear. GOD Bless your journey in Jesus name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW I'm sorry it took me so long to get back with you on this - thank you so much for your input. I agree with a lot of what you said and your encouragement means a lot. Thank you!

      Delete
  7. I just want to say how brave you are. This is a big subject, and I think it was so brave of you to talk about this.

    ReplyDelete


Comments make me smile, lift my spirits and give me the motivation to continue writing. In return I'll comment on your blog, because you're awesome and deserve it.