The Aesthetic Tag |Keeping it Real|

8:09 AM


Hola readers!

I'm creating a tag today. I don't know why. I don't even do tags that much anymore, but I really feel the need for more raw, honest conversations in the world. I see the need for people to be honest about who they are.
Blogs are easy masks.
So is social media.
You can hide behind well-taken selfies, beautiful blog designs, and quirky posts. It's not easy to be real, honestly. For me, being myself doesn't come easy. I care about what people think of me.
Come on, let's be real - don't we all?
I'm creating The Aesthetic Tag. It's a tag based on honesty, on being real. I'm not going to ask 'scary' life questions or for you to reveal your deepest secrets. But let's be real on our blogs, in our workplaces, in school, and in our day-to-day lives. Being real, being broken and honest - that's truly beautiful.


So here's a fun yet revealing tag I hope you will take part in. Enjoy!



aes·thet·ic
esˈTHedik/
adjective
  1. concerned with beauty or the appreciation of beauty.




Rules:
1. Post the tag photo in the body of your post and copy the title of your post from mine
2. Tag at least three friends who you know enjoys being authentic and real or their blog seems to be that message.
3. Answer all questions if possible and if they don't apply to you, explain why.

I cringe as I look at this picture - well, it's call for being real and it doesn't get more real then an awful selfie haha. 

1. Post a no-makeup photo. Don't take and retake. You have one shot. It's so easy to take a photo over and over in a world of digital cameras, but before in the world of one step cameras and film, that just wasn't possible. 

Let's go back to that for a quick moment. It's OK. 

I'm not photogenic. I'm just not. For some reason I don't smile in selfies and I always give the impression that I'm angry or on drugs. Please excuse the mess behind me and the intense stare haha.

2. The last song you listened to. If you don't remember exact song, then cd (spotify or youtube may help you in this ;). 
Scars from I am They. Readers, take a listen to this. It really is one of the most beautiful songs! I really needed it yesterday when I stumbled across it randomly.



3. A collage of pictures that show you. Pinterest is helpful in this or use your own. 

Two of these are mine - authenticity and the feet. I've never made a collage like this before but I went through my Pinterest boards and am a bit pleased with how it turned out.
I love driving, walks through the woods, hikes, raw and real conversations, retro and vintage pieces and lots of lots of writing.

4. One moment in your life when God was all you had. 

The times in my life where I've had health issues come to mind, but what sticks out the most were the times when I was at my darkest, when I tried to find light but could see none. In those times when I was grappling with who I was, those moments were when Jesus was all I had, and that was OK. Because I needed that.



5. Last picture you pinned on Pinterest (if applicable). If not Pinterest then last photo on instagram, last tweet on twitter, etc. 

I usually post funny pictures but I was on Pinterest looking for outfit ideas, since I went through my closet recently and for the first time in a long time, I want to go shopping. God has really allowed me to see who I am through His Love, and it's OK to not always be the tomboy wearing boy's clothes or with short hair. It's been a long road to being who I want to be, to wearing what I want to wear without worrying about the fact that I use to hate skirts or that I'm now more retro/vintage then urban. But what better way then to pin and blog about it?

6. What is one thing your readers may not know about you?

I think the above was one revelation when in one Kara's Confessions (an old series of mine), I confessed I don't have more then one dress and I don't wear skirts all that much. Now I have three dresses.
I think deep down I always wanted to dress-up a little more for church, that I wanted to be a little more girly in the past. But clothes have always been my image. And I think I tended to go on the tomboy side before because I wanted that tough-girl image. I wanted to show everyone that I was strong and I associated more feminine outfits as a weakness perhaps - being weak and needing people to hold doors for you and all that jazz.
But recently I'm seeing that no matter how tough you try to act or look, when your inside is broken, covering it up even in an tough outfit, will do nothing. Your brokenness won't go away by hiding it.
Clothing is just a sense of your style - it shouldn't be a mask.

7. A Bible verse that helped you through a difficult time. 
When Micah said, "Rejoice not over me O my enemies, for when I fall I shall rise." That verse grabbed a hold of me and never let go. It was my mantra for so long.



8. A book that impacted you greatly. 

Jane Eyre was one of my favorite books from grade school when I read the abridged version, and onwards into High School when I read it in full. I adore Jane Eyre so much it's not funny. I love the quotes, Jane Eyre's goodness, and Mr. Rochester's character development. I love the Gothic plot, the mystery and the ending is beautiful.
Give it a read!

9. Your greatest fear. 

That I will have looked back on my life and see all the things I could have done but didn't. That I will look back on my life and feel I never made a difference.
I fear this so much and it's taking a lot of learning and trusting to move beyond the fear.



10. A word or quote that describes you (my board here may help you). 

I don't know if this quote would describe me, but I love it and I love C.S Lewis. His Screwtape Letters are a must-read for anyone, and Mere Christianity is also a must for even the biggest skeptic. I've recently said quite a bit about how laws aren't going to change anything - it's the heart that needs touched. And so I choose this quote.



11. A fictional character you relate to deeply. 

Mary from Sherlock, Lucy from I Love Lucy. It's weird, they don't sound anything alike. But both hide deep insecurities. Lucy is afraid of not being loved and accepted and in the same breath could care less of what people think of her. Mary hid from her past so long but it caught up with her and she learned the importance of giving up of yourself for others - even the less deserving.
Call me crazy for picking two very different women - and one a crazy redhead! But I tend to go beyond and think very deeply about a character, seeing stuff that most probably care less about haha. So whether it's there or imagined, I relate.
Plus Lucy's courage is goals...I couldn't be brave enough to do half of what she did (both the character and actress).

12. If you could describe your greatest dream in one sentence, what would it be?

My greatest dream is to be a part of revival, a part of something bigger then myself as I openly reach the broken for the gospel. 

AND I tag...

Gray Marie
Emily
Nabila 

And anyone else who wants to grab the tag since I just created it and I want you to feel free to pass on.
And if you don't have a blog? I'd love to see some of your answers in the comments below.

Let's chat!

Do you see a need for authenticity in the world - for more honest conversations and vulnerability?



You Might Also Like

18 of your thoughts

  1. Thank you so much for tagging me, this is so cool! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem Gray - I can't wait to read your answers. <3

      Delete
  2. This is such a wonderful idea for a tag! And thanks so much for the nomination. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was happy to tag you, and your post the other day was beautiful. It matched exactly what this tag is really all about. =)

      Delete
  3. I love this tag! (I just might steal it someday, when I start showing my face on the Internet™️ ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh please feel free to steal! And even if you don't show your face, that's still okay. I'd love for you to do it. <3

      Delete
  4. Good idea for a tag, Kara! It was interesting to get an insight into your life, and I think it would've taken a lot of courage to answer these questions. :) But it's also refreshing, because yes, I do see a need for honesty and authenticity. You go, girl!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your dear encouragement! If you want to steal the tag sometime, feel free. Your blog is such an inspiring place and I'd love to see your answers. ;)

      Delete
  5. Yes yes yes I see the need!! I've been so troubled lately in feeling like I shouldn't or couldn't share completely honest stuff that's going on - hard stuff. In fact I've been thinking about quitting my blog just because of that. But I feel like you are just someone I can go to if I need to. ❤️
    I love this tag! I might just steal it, I really love it that much ❤️
    Keep it up girl!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Paige, I feel you. Blogging is so difficult when life is tough, and I'm here for you if you ever need someone to talk to. Stay strong, friend. You have people who love you and you're not alone.
      *Hugs*

      Delete
  6. This is a great tag! Being real is important... but we often don’t want to because it’s easier to hid behind a mask or to pretend to be someone you aren’t. Getting real shows a lot in your life that you’d rather stay hidden.
    Thanks for sharing this! And for being real :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Masks are easy crutches to lean on - been there, done that. Christ calls for transparency and I pray my tag allows that for others.
      Thank you for your comment Sarah. <3

      Delete
  7. Thanks for being willing to be open and sharing your real self with us. You are so beautiful, inside and out! You inspire me. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much S.F - right back at you. <3 <3 <3

      Delete
  8. Thanks for tagging me!! I love this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, Nabila. I really look forward to your answers!

      Delete
  9. Oh, a very cool tag!

    I did enjoy Jane Eyre, it was different than anything else I had read. :)

    I had the same problem with clothing. I am starting to figure out what I like to wear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane Eyre is different, yes and I love unique books, so it's always drawn me in. Plus it's Gothic, so yay for clean, gothic books haha.

      Delete


Comments make me smile, lift my spirits and give me the motivation to continue writing. In return I'll comment on your blog, because you're awesome and deserve it.