A Cross To Kill |A Book Review|

10:43 AM


A B O U T John Cross is a small-town pastor, bent on leading his flock to follow God's calling. He's not the sort of man one would expect to have a checkered past.
But the truth is that the man behind the pulpit preaching to his sheep was once a wolf--an assassin for the CIA. When John decided to follow Christ, he put that work behind him, determined to do penance for all the lives he took. He vowed never to kill again.
Now someone wants the peaceful pastor to pay for his sins with his own life



When I chose to review this book, I didn't know what to expect. I'd never heard of Andrew Huff but an assassin turned pastor? Terrorists? Suspense? All in one?!
YES.
PLEASEEE.

The story line is a complete thumbs up. I loved the idea behind it all -- especially because pastors are normally left in the back burner of exciting stories (ok ALWAYS left in the back burner). Plus when you depict pastor's it's normally in the stuffy, normal fashion and y'all my dad is a pastor and he is not stuffy. He preaches theology and doctrine and can debate with the best of 'em but he's also a pretty cool human too.
Andrew Huff accomplished that and more -- he created a fascinating character who is trying to run from his past but it's catching up with him! The writing style is pretty clean and well done. The first few chapters were pretty cheesy (because Cross can kick butt y'all) and he does it hard-core (without killing a soul mind you).


I wanted to like this book ( a lot) but the cheese was pretty obvious. Like really, obvious. I'm rating this three stars because I liked it, but the cheesiness was a bit much. He took a couple guys down at once (with no freaking weapon), enjoys showing and basically loves the thrill of a hunt (even though he wouldn't admit it).


The Christian themes are a little in your face too-- especially towards the end. I appreciate them being there but it was more rubbing it in, and the ending was about 100% predicable.

OK. So note, I real Steven James y'all -- I read hardcore suspense all the time. For those looking for a solid, Christian read, Andrew Huff's series is it. It just wasn't for me when it came down to it. *Shrugs*

Thank you to the publisher for sending this book my way -- all thoughts are my own.
 

You Might Also Like

0 of your thoughts


Comments make me smile, lift my spirits and give me the motivation to continue writing. In return I'll comment on your blog, because you're awesome and deserve it.