My Journey Through Darkness: Depression Isn't Your Fault

2:08 PM

Honesty. Healing. Hope.





Hola readers!

I know so many people who have struggled with depression, who have been trapped by darkness and despair. I never really paid attention to depression when I was younger. It was an enemy I never understood - someone else's enemy. Not mine.
Until depression trapped me as well.
I didn't understand how depression takes and, consumes you - until it stood on my doorstep.
I don't know if the doctors would say I had/have depression. I don't know because I never went there.

But that's another story.

And everyone has a different one.

Depression may come through circumstance, through horrible acts, through trauma or hormones, but depression tends to hang close no matter who you are or what you're doing.
But for you who are struggling with depression, let me say: It's not your fault.
We tend to have this false idea, to tell ourselves we need to 'shake it off.' We shouldn't feel this way, we should be happy. Most of us who are depressed, don't have a clear reason. We are loved, cared for. We have jobs, a church or a stable life. We don't have a particular reason why.
We just know that sometimes sitting on the bed staring at the wall is all we get done.
We just know that some days we don't want to wake up.
We just know that the darkness is coming and it won't let go.
Sometimes we don't know.
But that doesn't matter.
It's there.
And I want you to know: Depression, this darkness, it isn't your fault.
You aren't the problem.

You are precious. You are loved. You are a beautiful human and this depression does not define you.

You are not who your depression says you are.
You are not who the liar says you are.

But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light. 1 Peter 2:9

Do not let this darkness consume you. Do not say that you cannot be healed. Do not think that this is the end.

Do not be afraid to ask for help. Do not be afraid to be open in The Church. Do not be afraid to cry, to confess, to be honest...to try to be healed.
Do not let fear hold you back.
Fear is a liar. Fear is trap.
Do not let it be your's.

Depression is not your fault, you precious, gorgeous, amazing human. Do not let this depression hold you back. Do not be afraid of falling...because that's when you can allow Jesus to pick you up. Do not fear tomorrow...for tomorrow will take care of itself.
Instead take one day at a time.
Because you, my precious reader, have enough to do today.

No, depression isn't your fault.
It's a fight.
It's a journey.
A demon to conquer.

Do not let it conquer you. 



Side note: I have struggled with depression since the age of nine. I know that too well-known enemy called darkness, and through the Light I have been able to learn to conquer. Take heart: You are not alone. 


You Might Also Like

13 of your thoughts

  1. Thanks so much . . . I really needed this today. Just knowing other people have similar struggles is strangely encouraging. If they can keep fighting, so can I. Thank you so very much, Kara.

    Brianna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you can - stay strong beautiful. You are loved and you WILL conquer. <3 <3 <3

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you stayed strong, Kara Lynn. God bless. <33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sweet Gray. I'm so happy I did too - He's done so much in my life. <3

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh yes!!!! I love this so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That feeling you describe is an all but universal experience. I've never known anyone who hasn't had a panic attack. You imagine the World is about to end. Your mind races to make sense of the fear. But it's just brain chemistry. And it's not abnormal. Trust me that as your life is filled with all the things that make up adulthood, the fear will be displaced by ... ugh exhaustion. When you're too tired to be panicked you'll long for the day. OOPS That's one of those things an adult shouldn't say. So ... everything will be GREAT! GREAT! I tell you!

    Kara, you're a good kid. You'll be OK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray, I appreciate both your sarcasm and humor AND encouragement.

      Delete
  5. beautifully put. thank you for sharing <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! This was so beautifully written. Thanks, Kara!

    ReplyDelete


Comments make me smile, lift my spirits and give me the motivation to continue writing. In return I'll comment on your blog, because you're awesome and deserve it.