Dressing Up Like My Favorite Character +Crownless King Snippets!!!

7:17 AM


Hola readers!
This fall has gone by in a blur of work, writing, and just trying to get my life together. I've neglected this blog a bit and want to get back into the blogging world ASAP....but my current WIP is taking up a lot of my time. 
I am on page 114.
I repeat page 114!!!!!!
I'm not doing Nanowrimo this year officially but this is my version. Every day I have off and in between, I am furiously writing and getting the words out there even if they feel a bit stale.
This first draft has been hard -- really hard. I have rewritten so many scenes already and it's literally in the first stage process. I'm struggling because the characters are struggling and this is no easy battle to fight. Sabriel (my main girl) struggles with the question "is love worth it when the pain of loving someone is so great?" and that's a hard question to answer. 
Especially for me. 
S N I P P E T S 

“Why did you leave?”
“Because I knew I needed to make my choice.” 
“What choice was that?”
“To choose between the lesser of two evils.” She gazed into the face of her captor, his dark hair cut short on his head, his eyes piercing through her as though he could see to her soul. Dark stone closed in around her, her eyes meeting his as though he left her undaunted. 
You realize the consequences of your actions, do you not?”
“Death.”
“And do you fear that?”
“I do not fear death, only the pain of it.”

𝙭

She always fought like she was fighting hell itself, like she meant to win, like the fear inside her failed to matter, like she was invincible. When she committed, she fought all or she refused to fight at all. 
Today was the first time she had played the part of the coward.

𝙭
She was no princess. 
She was a Knight, a trained assassin now in the castle coveted by her master Tirich. At last they could take back the throne, end this chaos and bring Sindaleer back to what it once was. She should feel elation, a sense that at last the fight could be one. Instead a mounting hollow feeling rose up in her chest, pushing the air from her lungs. Anxiety sent tingles through her body. 
At last the war would be won. At last. 
“Do you really believe that?” She whispered to her reflection. 
She wanted to,
More than anything. 
But after all that had happened, everything had changed.

In other news...
In other news, Movie Critic over at "Movies Meet Their Match" is having a bit of a costume party, asking us to dress up on the blog as fictional characters..and basically that's been my current love.
I got to dress up twice this year for Halloween, which next to never happens. In the past my family never celebrated and I still don't as an adult (unless you count going to work able to dress in whatever). So I was excited when I heard about the blog party because I have two to share.
I've been planning my outfit for a family fall party for over a year now, but when I remembered you could go to work dressed up, I stole my brothers' shirts they were using for the party and...
my sister and I went as Thing 1 and Thing 2 to Panera.
My friend heard about our plans and surprised us all as being a truly wonderful Cat in the Hat.



You can't see in the photos but our hair is partly spray painted blue and I used blue eye shadow around my eyes an red lipstick for a more "sophisticated" look. It was a lot of fun until customers became truly confused as to what in the heck we were supposed to be...


But the real fun came when I got to go to a party as one of my all-time favorite fictional characters. 
I dressed up as Tonks from Harry Potter and I think you can guess who my littlest babe went as. I got... 

Dress: Goodwill $5
Jacket: My sister
Wand: Handmade
Hair: Hairspray Walmart $2
Boots: Shoe Department $7
Deathly Hallows Necklace: My sister 




"But I don't care either, I don't care!" said Tonks, seizing the front of Lupin's robes and shaking them. "I've told you a million times...."
And the meaning of Tonk's Patronus and her mouse-colored hair, and the reason she had come running to find Dumbledore when she had heard a rumor someone had been attacked by Greyback, all suddenly became clear to Harry; it had not been Sirius that Tonks had fallen in love with after all.
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince



It was a lot of fun, despite the fact that yet again no one knew who I was... *sigh* 
But I enjoyed the cosplay and it was more fun planning my outfit than wearing it. Tonks has a special place in my heart since reading the books for the first time a couple years ago and then watching the movies soon after. 
We share the same Myer Briggs personality (ENFP for the win!), and I love her courageous heart and her love for Lupin, which is basically Beauty and the Beast wizards style. 


But that's been life lately. I am hoping to complete The Crownless King by the end of the year (fingers crossed) and I have some post ideas for the blog soon. The holidays are drawing near and that means Christmasy posts, Christmas music, and planning some really awesome bookish stuff for The Broken Prince (because it'd make a good gift for someone y'all). 

Who is your favorite fictional character that impacted you? Let's chat fictional characters!

AND

Don't forget to check out Movie Critic's blog here  and join the party!



You Might Also Like

8 of your thoughts

  1. Eeeek!! Your costumes are AWESOME!! Thanks for participating, Kara! I've always thought that being the same thing as some one else would be fun, and you guys look great as Thing 1 and Thing 2! The fact that your co-worker dressed up too is perfect!
    Also, you absolutely rocked being Tonks! Way to go, girl! I love it! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you so much girl! I loved being Tonks for an evening. <3

      Delete
  2. Fun outfits!
    And the snips are gold!

    astordetective.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the costumes! And the snippets!!
    So good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so cool! Your costumes turned out awesome!! Also your book sounds like it's going to be super good! Can't wait to read it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks girl!!! I'm so happy with how it turned out. <3 *Hugs*

      Delete


Comments make me smile, lift my spirits and give me the motivation to continue writing. In return I'll comment on your blog, because you're awesome and deserve it.