My Top Favorite Books of 2017

7:39 AM


Hola readers!

My goal this year was to read a hundred books, so from some of the nonfiction I read from my time in college, to inspirational nonfiction in devotions, to fiction and memoirs and autobiographies, I've read about 100 books this year.
I don't know whether this comes from a love of reading or the lack of job and (at times) complete boredom, but either way, I accomplished my goal and I'm very happy about that. So in saying this, here's my top favorites of this year.



1. Fantasy/Science Fiction: Replication by Jill Williamson




2. Autobiography: Love, Lucy by, Lucille Ball

Lucille Ball has become my role model when it comes to striving for what you want and not allowing things such as anxiety, rule your life. Her life was far from perfect, her divorce was messy and sad and no, she wasn't a strong Christian in the least. I don't even know if in her younger years if she knew what being a Christian meant. But God spoke to me through her book and I highly enjoyed a first look at Hollywood in the early movie years.



3.  Informational/Worldview: Making Sense of your World 

I read this in college and I think everyone should read this but especially those in college or those who grew up not learning a Christian worldview. I learned not only why the Christian way is the only way to go but also why other worldviews are wrong.



4. Classic: The Hound of the Baskervilles 

What more can I say? It's Sherlock!


5.  Contemporary Romance: Sweetbrier Cottage by Denise Hunter

A sweet romance, second chances, and how God loves us unconditionally. I couldn't say enough about this sweet, yet thought-provoking book! You can check out my book review here!



6. Memoir: The Reason by Lacey Sturm

BEST. EVER. Hands down, this book taught me about living beautifully broken and rising from the ashes. Also, being a fan of rock music, I really enjoyed learning about Lacey Sturm and her life, and I've found that even non Christians have been impacted by her story.



7. Inspirational nonfiction: Blessed are the Misfits by Brant Hansen.

I've loved Brant Hansen's radio show long before I read anything he's written, but his book blew me away (as you may have learned from my instagram). I'm going review this book soon, but in the meanwhile, let me just say, this is for anyone who's felt awkward, unwanted, introverted, or not good enough and out of place.



8. Children's Fiction: The Prisoner of Azkaban from J.K Rowling 

I don't read much children's fiction but I did read all the HP books and this one won out as my favorite - cute, humorous, and I liked the overall message.



9. YA: Running Lean by Diana L. Sharpless
An inside look at a young teen with an eating disorder with a Christian message that wasn't overly preachy. A hard to talk about topic without being too in your face - loved it!



10. A cute read: Daddy Long Legs
I was in need of something short, cute, and sweet and got this book at a little free library at my state park. There was just something about it that I loved!



11. Murder/Suspense: If I'm Found from Teri Blackstock
Teri Blackstock writes the most incredible murder mysteries and this series, "If I Run," is brilliant. Read my review here!


That's only eleven of the amazing books I read this year and I wish I could go on. There's the Baby Years from Robin Jones Gunn, Not a Fan from Kyle Idleman, Great Expectations from Charles Dickens, and on and on and on and on.

Have you read any of the books on my list? What are your favorites you've read this 2017? Let's talk books today!

You Might Also Like

14 of your thoughts

  1. I actually haven't read any of these (unfortunately)! However I have been *planning* on reading "If I Run" the series. But you know how tbr lists are... wicked wicked wonderful things!! Some of my 2017 favorites have been Fangirl, Bone Gap, Renegades, Heartless, See You in the Cosmos, A Name Unknown, Illuminae, Salt to the Sea, Between Shades of Gray, Mosquitoland, and The Light Between Oceans... JUST TO NAME A FEW.Lol. I might do a post like this on my blog.... IDK we'll see. xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, read the If I Run Series - it is seriously so good and has quite a few plot twists! I've not heard of any of the books you've mentioned but I'll have to do some research into them since I'm always looking for good books.
      Thank you for your comment!

      Delete
  2. Running Lean sounds like a really interesting book. It would be interesting to hear a more Christian perspective on that issue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is - I warn you though, the book is almost like a secular book at times since we're dealing with hormonal teenagers in a relationship, but it was super inspiring and God really works in the end. It wasn't perfect, people realized they made mistakes, but for me it really mimicked really life!

      Delete
  3. All of these books are completely good right?? I am just in need of some GOOD book suggestions, nothing with cursing or anything that is overly bad. I just like being careful with what I read bc once you read something bad it's in your head whether you like it or not. :| A lot of these books sound awesome, esp 6, 9, and the last. =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Paige!
      Nothing is overly bad or has cursing - I think you'd really enjoy them! The Reason is so good and deals with a suicidal atheist coming to Christ and is so refreshing to read! Running Lean is pretty good too (hence why's it's on my top fave list), though there is a slight, almost sex scene. Nothing explicit but the teens are hormonal, in love, etc, though later realize they're mistake (they're not Christians at the beginning of the book really). Oh, and the If I Run Series has minimal violence and is so good - both as suspense and as Christian fiction!
      I hope you enjoy them as much as I did! <3

      Delete
  4. 100 books? That's awesome! I don't know if I've ever read even 50 books in a year, so that's super awesome. Also, I've never read a Sherlock book, but now I definitely want to pick one up. I love getting inspiration for different reads! AND I LOVE HARRY POTTER. I had to read the whole series recently for a class and fell in love with it. J.K. Rowling really created a unique world in the story and I love that! :)

    P.S. You should read The Opposite of Loneliness by Marina Keegan. It was one of my favorite reads this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Erin! Thank you for the book recommendation - I'll be sure and check it out for sure!

      Yes, Harry Potter is now one series I can say that I've really enjoyed, though this is the first time I've ever read/watched the series, so as an adult that was very interesting. Especially after hearing so much about it from friends! J.K Rowling did an amazing story-building, world-building job. She's genius! I completely agree with you!

      Delete
  5. The Reason is one of my favorite books. Lacey is one of heroes. she's such a beautiful human. you should read her other book, The Mystery. its just as good. I cant wait for her third one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read The Mystery at least twice since I got it last year and you're right - it's amazing! And oh, she has a third one coming up?! That is so exciting!!!!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. You are very welcome - I hope you enjoy the books as much as I have. They are all truly so wonderful and blessed my 2017!

      Delete
  7. I just checked out "If I Run" from the library yesterday: I've heard lots of good things about it and I'm excited to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that is so exciting - it is a very well-written book and I hope you enjoy it as much as I have. Be sure and let me know what you think!

      Delete


Comments make me smile, lift my spirits and give me the motivation to continue writing. In return I'll comment on your blog, because you're awesome and deserve it.