What Being a Christian Means To Me

7:08 AM



Hola readers!

As Easter quickly approaches this Sunday, I've been thinking about Christian and what it means to me. I've read so many books and bios and blogs and interviews where a person will call themselves a Christian.

Christianity for some is just a label, for some it's a religion and for others it's a friendship. For some people being a Christianity means simply saying there's a God. For others being a Christian means going to church every Sunday and being an active member. For others they don't know what it means except that's what they call themselves.

For me, being a Christian isn't a complicated mess. It's not a religion...for me being a Christian has always been a relationship. Sometimes a seemingly silent friendship, but a relationship nonetheless. God has called us sons and daughters and I find that a very special title to be bestowed with - one I don't think anyone should take lightly.
For me Christianity is simple, proven, and true.
The existence of Jesus, that He came and walked the earth has been proven a Historical fact. I firmly believe He took the cross so I and others could be saved.
He bled, his back in shreds, his heart failing, his hands and feet nailed to a cross...for me.
For you.
Being a Christian for me, means healing. Real and utter healing of my darkness and depression and anxiety and shame. He has promised to heal completely...in time. While that time may not come on earth, it will one day and that's good enough for me.

A girl once asked me if I found God's rules confining, if He held me back from my dreams.

No never. God's dreams have become mine. He desires have become mine.

Don't get me wrong. I'm fallible. I'm rebellious. I don't do everything I'm told. I trip-up. I lash out. Sometimes I'm a jerk.

But God (the minute I said yes to His love), began to mold my heart to make it like His. It's been a process, but that's what makes a Christian so beautiful. He uses me, brokenness and all, (especially the brokenness), and doesn't ask that I work my way to Him.

But if it is by grace, it is no longer on the basis of works, otherwise grace is no longer grace.
Romans
11:6

To me being a Christianity means honesty, authenticity and and brokenness. It means being real with those around me, with striving towards Jesus in all I do and not relying on anything but His love. It's realizing that my longing (as well as the world's) for something more will only be solved in Him. It's seeing Him as the ultimate best friend and conversationalist. It's coming to His judge free zone and soaking in His love.

Being a Christian is sealing the deal as His child. It's a one-way ticket to heaven, it's love unconditional and grace unfathomable. Being a Christian is way more then a label.
It's the hardest, most beautiful, most rewarding thing you can possibly imagine doing. It's more then a label - it requires action.

...faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead. 
James 
2:17

Being a Christian is something that will change your life, that requires commitment and work. It's more then saying it and moving on. It's spending time in prayer, it's reading the word and learning. It's a process. It's realizing that like with any relationship, you won't grow if you don't put in any effort.

For me being a Christian has changed my life in every way possible. 

I dare you to see if Christ won't change your's. There's just no way possible that He won't do it, if you let Him.

Let's chat! I'd love to hear how God has changed your life (a specific detail)! And if you are confused by anything that I've said, I'd to to talk with you personally with any questions about Christianity you may have. 

You Might Also Like

13 of your thoughts

  1. Beautiful post, Kara! Often people refer to Christianity as religion.... but for me it’s relationship. A relationship with Jesus. That’s what’s so cool... He wants a relationship with us! He loves us so much He took our place on that cross!
    I see Him changing my life little by little as time goes on. I’ve seen Him help me tear down idols that once consumed my life (not like physical idols made of gold, but things I put before God). I can just read through my old journals to see how much He’s changed me.
    Thanks for sharing this! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love reading through my old journals as well because it honestly shows me growth and encourages me that Jesus keeps changing me. It's amazing to see His hand in my life and in the lives of those around me.
      Thanks so much for the follow and for commenting Sarah! <3

      Delete
  2. This is lovely, thank you so much for sharing. This is so inspiring. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear Gray - you make me smile. *Hugs*

      Delete
  3. I agree so much! I really like how you brought out that being a Christian is about a relationship, it's about action, and it's not restricting. It's actually greater freedom! And this: There's just no way possible that He won't do it, if you let Him. I've always been fascinated by the fact that sanctification is a natural result of having a relationship with Christ. We serve a wonderful God! Thanks for another encouraging and thought-provoking post, Kara!

    I was trying to think of a specific difference knowing God has made in my life, and something I've noticed is a change in my heart towards people, particularly those society calls less-than, but also those whom seem to have it together. Sometimes I feel this burden for people I don't even know, and that's got to be Him. It's kind of exciting to see what else He gets up to in our lives! :) I wonder what we would add if were having this same conversation in a few years' time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've noticed that change in my life as well! Both those people groups I'm drawn to so much, and I've noticed that God opens so many opportunities for me to reach them. It's funny though, but the less-thens are exactly the type of people Jesus hung out with and He was constantly preaching about those that seem to have it altogether and pointing out that we all struggle.
      Thanks for your thoughts - I love these conversations with you. They are treasured. <3

      Delete
  4. This is so beautiful! I love this <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, hon. I appreciate your comment. <3 <3 <3

      Delete
  5. I love this! There is a stigma against Christians in general saying how we're just all so "religious" and with that, "righteous," but it isn't like that! Being a Christian is truly life-changing, and I think if people saw that more, from us as Christians, the world would be a better place.

    (Not really related to what you're talking about, but this is what came to mind when I read it)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have yet to observe any stigma against Christianity. The notion of victim-hood is a tool used by demagogues to engender hatred directed toward a common enemy. You cannot feel such hatred and be true to Christ's teachings.

      I would ask anyone who calls himself a Christian "What did Christ say?". I fear the reply "When? You mean this morning?" The King of of kings is not an imaginary friend. His Word is not something to be treated so lightly. Now, I realize KJV is difficult. If you want to better understand His Word, try the Amplified Bible.

      Delete
    2. Hanne - thank you for your thoughts! I like nonrelated comments because they give me something new to chew on.
      I think we as Christians need to be more open and honest so people can see the life-changing events in our lives. The problem is, many Christians tend to stay in their bubbles and not be open about their brokenness, causing a holier-then-thou atmosphere.
      Let's be open together! <3
      Thanks again!

      Delete


Comments make me smile, lift my spirits and give me the motivation to continue writing. In return I'll comment on your blog, because you're awesome and deserve it.