how exercise has vitally helped my good mental health

7:15 AM



Hola readers!

Taking a new turn in the posting department to talk mental helath + exercise.

I've always considered myself healthy and decently fit. I could walk a mile or so at a time in the woods, did a fifteen minute workout about once a week, and ate organic/healthy when possible.
Yet when Covid-19 struck, I began to get bad anxiety again and not sleep. I felt myself very quickly backsliding into what had been a couple years ago, and that scared me almost more than the virus. I remembered the sleeply nights in high school and panic attacks and depressing emotions, and got more anxiety just thinking about returning.
A few days after I stopped working, I woke up with anxiety and darkness and said, "self, we're not doing this again." 
And I began kick boxing again, doing a twenty minute at home workout that I had done a few years ago but fell out of with the business of life. Than in between days off of my full body routine, I took two mile nature walks into the hills and mountains of my state park.
Sunshine is my happy place.
Feeling the hot rays on my bare shoulers and just standing there breathing in the mountain air = happiness for me. I'm such a hippie when it comes to nature, I'll be the first to admit. Dirt and bare feet and sun burns and sunsets and rises and river water and flowers and the breeze....





This reminded me something I found out a few years ago when fighting a very bad place mentally: Exercise is vital to good mental health. 

There is a long process and lots of baby steps to getting to the other side, and quite frankly "the other side" is a long time coming. But I realized how much I needed to actually get my body moving. I had fallen into a slump and it was time to climb out. I am twenty one years old and suddenly I realized how easy it is as a young adult to allow my body to fall into an unhleathy pattern.
For some people meditation and yoga is the answer to calming their soul or some dancing -- but I'm hard core kick boxing and some really long walks are what I need to release some pent-up energy and anxiety.


I remember when I first began boxing at home (no punching bag -- just me in front of the mirror trying to not look like an idiot). I imagined punching the darkness and anger and releasing everything I felt inside. I remember repeating, "you will not have me," until sweat dripped down my forehead and back.

I missed that feeling of freedom.
It was good to be back.

Yetserday I walked over three miles up some cliffs and on the other side I felt victory flow through me sticky sweet. For some maybe this would be a small accomplishment.
Baby steps.
I think we have this idea that we should look a certain way or that we should have it altogether in front of the mirror so we don't look the fool. But just getting out there and doing it, falling back into the routine of not letting my emotions take over me, was just what I needed these last couple of weeks.
And I don't plan on stopping anytime soon.

You Might Also Like

13 of your thoughts

  1. This is such a sweet post. I have been trying to exercise more than I normally do too in the midst of everything. It's so easy to let yourself go and feel sorry for yourself and not do anything. I think it's great you're actively taking care of yourself and not allowing your anxiety to get the best of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, friend! It is SUPER easy to let go of yourself and just get stuck in a rut -- so true!

      Delete
  2. I need to get more movement in my day. Thank you for inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OHH YES! Sitting still and falling out of routine is a huge no no for me haha. <3

      Delete
  3. wow wow wow Kara. This was too relatable. I'm a dancer who is most usually constantly in shape because of endless rehearsals during the week, so covid gave me a break, but it really wasn't good for my body. I wasn't moving around at all. I finally felt like okay you have to do this for yourself. So i've started tanning more to get more sun and doing an ab workout every day. When you said "self, we're not doing this again" I just related so much.
    I absolutely loved this Kara. Beautiful words.
    http://accordingtoisabellakate.blogspot.com
    -Izzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you so much girl -- your comment made my day. <3 Keep fighting and working at it and don't let this covid get your body down. You got this!

      Delete
  4. This post is so relatable! I've always considered myself fit, but I've never done anything regularly. During this time my sister convinced me to do workouts with her and it feels SO GOOD. Being outside is amazing. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does feel amazing! Standing on top of that mountain on what felt like the top of the world -- incredible!

      Delete
  5. This may sound off-topic. It isn't. One of the greatest men of my lifetime said often something profound. I never really understood it till after his passing. He said "Look for the helpers".

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find exercise is so great for many things! Keep it up. ;)

    astordetective.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so hard but so important! I'm thankful my job keeps me moving outdoors for most of the day, but I need to take time to just relax and enjoy the outdoors too! Hope you can keep kicking that anxiety to the curb, Kara!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Exercise is SO beneficial, and not just to your body! Whether it's a hardcore workout video or just a long walk, I always feel so good afterwards. Even if my body is dying. xD I'm glad it's helping you! <3

    theonesthatreallymatter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Exercise has been saving my life lately. I feel so much better physically and mentally.
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete


Comments make me smile, lift my spirits and give me the motivation to continue writing. In return I'll comment on your blog, because you're awesome and deserve it.