look beyond what you see

7:04 AM



I'd just got off the phone with one of my best friends. We were chatting about our lives, how we don't quite understand what God is doing, how what we see just doesn't always make sense.
It was then that I remembered a quote from one of my favorite childhood movies, "look beyond what you see."
It's been years since I've seen the Lion King movies, but they use to be my favorite. I remember sitting in front of that big TV with the remote, turning on the VCR and watching Disney with my little sister. And I remember that infamous quote from the monkey in Lion One and a Half telling Temon to, "look beyond what you see." I remember that as a child the line meant nothing to me, and in all honesty I haven't seen the movies recent enough to know the heart behind the words movie wise...But personally?
Now it's beginning to mean so much.
We never look beyond what we see.
Adults rarely do.
We say "seeing is believing," and never go beyond that. We see what everyone else is doing and say that they are right. We see what looks hard and back down. We see that we've tried and tried, and after seeing that quit, because we just can't see going on.
We don't go beyond what we see. We don't go beyond the mundane of life because we can't see anything else. We don't look to see anything more then what is right in front of us, because we can't imagine more then what meets the eye.
As adults we let go of imagination and daring and being who we want to be, and never look beyond what we see.
Because the world tells us that seeing is believing, and if you don't see it, then it can't possibly be real.

But God is teaching me something that to human eyes, to my eyes, should not be real, but is ever so true. God, from day one of graduating High School, has taught me to look beyond what I see. He has taught me to look beyond what I think is real, and look to Him, who I can't always see, and believe that He is doing something real and true in my life.
As an adult my day to day life is busy. Sometimes I don't feel like dreaming.
But God is teaching me to dream.
He has taught me to let go of what I see, and go so far beyond that - much further than I could ever dream possible.
He has taught me to see life in the sunsets, to see his fingertips in the clouds, his love in the broken, his power in the storms. He has taught me to see beyond to what I know is truth.
The world tells me that I can't believe what I do not see, but I believe in Him everyday, because when I look beyond what I can see with human eyes, I see a world of possibilities, of love, of standing united. I see my Savior giving me a second chance.

Because while that I cannot see Him physically, I feel Him every day.

You Might Also Like

16 of your thoughts

  1. Hey! I thought I'd share my thoughts. I like how you started out the article with a quote from The Lion King, and also you are so right! It took nearly ten years for me to actually try start focusing more on God. Only recently have I picked up my bible and read It, seriously thought over what I read, applications, and prayer. I learned that you can't count on people, and learned that a VERY hard way. Also, why do us Christian young adults ( and teens), especially those our age aka the millinals or whatever they call us, why lock away and back down from what we see as hard. Without hard things, life would be a LOT less challenging and not as interesting

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. So just question. Once you graduated high school, did you indeed start to see things differently and grow a bit? Ever since I graduated, I can say I have become a bit more mature according to friends of mine. And the crazy thing is I didn't notice until they said that they had seen a positive change in me. ( one case, I had been working at a ministry thrift store as a voltenner and still do. Last month the woman in charge of the area I work in told me she had seen a change in me ( a good one.) since when I started.

      Delete
    2. Oh yes, by far I have grown and it really took off after High School. I think it was because I finally was considered an adult and making those choices that I didn't have to make for sure. In a way I was forced to grow-up and that made me more mature.

      Delete
    3. I 'm sorry I went off topic. I just was curious if you have been going through the same cycle. Looks like it's not something just hat has happened to me. I honestly thin, ( well in my case I was public schooled), is possibly the results of adaptation to the real world? Hey, I'm gonna send you email about a short story I'm writing. I hope you can help me.

      Delete
  3. GIRL! YES. You faith in Gods plan will always go through rough patches where you aren't sure or you don't see him working in your life. Some times I find I am looking to closely. I find that I can see Gods work the most in my life when I reflect on a couple of months time and connect to things then and things happening now if that makes sense. Thank you for sharing <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES YES!!!! Looking back over my life I can see how God has worked in the struggles of my life and how He's moved even when I didn't see it. Thank you for your comment!!! XOXO

      Delete
  4. Once again your post is so inspiring and encouraging, Kara, thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oof. I feel this. I'm in the summer between graduating and starting college right now, and while it looks like I have --PLANS-- on paper, nothing is certain and I don't know what my next even MONTH looks like. Thanks for the encouragement <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know the feeling and congrats on graduating!!! Don't be afraid of chances or being different, that's all part of being a new adult....still learning that actually haha.
      Thanks for commenting!!!

      Delete
  6. “He has taught me to see life in the sunsets, to see his fingertips in the clouds, his love in the broken, his power in the storms.” - love that. Wow, great post, Kara!!
    Yes, as a friend of mine and I say often “keeping my eyes on what’s above”.... We have to look beyond this world sometimes, look up to Jesus. Thanks for this reminder <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you, Sarah! I'm at a definite point in my life where I have to look up and see Jesus because right now, the struggles are coming and it's been a battle been the flesh and spirit. "Keeping my eyes on above," will probably have to be my mantra the rest of this work week. XOXO

      Delete


Comments make me smile, lift my spirits and give me the motivation to continue writing. In return I'll comment on your blog, because you're awesome and deserve it.