no-fail [easy] ways to let fellow humans know they are loved

7:04 AM


Hola readers!
Sometimes loving people is hard.
Really hard.
We look around us and just give up because it can get complicated and messy and stressful. You can get hurt from loving fellow brokens. It's not easy.
But it can be.
I thought about this last evening and realized how sometimes it's the little things that can mean the most. And that's when I made this list:

no fail [easy] ways to let fellow humans know that they are loved
  • Smile 
For me,  letting the world know they are loved has been through smiling. There is something about smiling and having someone smile back. There's something special about walking into work and having someone smile when they see me. When you smile it sends the message, hello, i see you...and i'm happy about it.
In general, there's just something special about a smile. 

  • Ask if they need a hug
Hugs are my therapy. I could literally hug every soul I see if they would let me. I'm not lying -- I love hugs...but not everyone loves a hug...
Keyword: ask. 
Also a hand on their shoulder, a quick hand of acknowledgement...all of it shows you care. The world has spoiled physical contact, making it seem wrong, sexual...and something to be avoided. But we are meant for pure physical contact. It's not something to avoid but to embrace in its proper place. 
Jesus spent his time lovingly touching people. I strongly feel we should do the same. 

  • Ask if there's anything they need
This question can go a long way. 
And when you ask: mean it -- and follow through. 

  • Go the extra mile 
This can literally mean someone's world. Swing ice cream by their house, bring them a cup of coffee, text them that you love them, babysit your friend's kids (for free), get up early to go jogging with them, invite them to the concert with you (and pay for the tickets if you can).
It doesn't have to be dramatic. 
It's just loving someone.

  • Be a listening ear 
Learn to be aware of when someone looks like they need to vent and be ready to listen. Sometimes that can mean more then offering your two cents.

  • Let them know you feel their struggles...but only if you have 
"I understand what you're going through," and actually meaning it can lead to open conversation...but only if you actually do understand. Don't pretend to understand if you don't, and don't be afraid to be honest about it.
We can sense when someone's not being honest or a fake. Be honest whether or not you understand.


  • Don't ignore the "side people." 
Say hello and thank you and have a nice day and good bye and....just be a tuned to the people around you. This can be the lady at the register, the guy on the bus next to you, and the little girl watching you at Walmart who just won't stop smiling. 

  •  Say their name
I have learned that saying someone's name can mean a lot. It means you cared enough to remember, that that person actually holds value for you. When I answer the phone and the person on the other end says, "hey Kara, it's great to finally get to talk to you."
I don't know...there's something about someone saying your name...it can be such a kind and caring gesture.

Loving people isn't easy.
Staying a tuned to the people around you when sometimes your own world is crashing around you, isn't easy.
But loving people doesn't have to be well planned out.
I truly because that sometimes the best thing we can ever do for someone, is love them. I think revolutions and change are born from love. Acts of love are what people can remember most -- sometimes more than words and your two cents.
Love holds true power. 

You Might Also Like

12 of your thoughts

  1. I love this post so much, Kara! <333 Such great reminders! I’ll have to start using these today.

    Just a funny thing, though: I don’t know if this is just me, but where I work, we have a name tag, and sometimes random people will come through the line and call me by my name. When that happens, I usually think, "wait, how do they know my name, do I know them somehow, HELP ME” XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha that is hilarious and so true! I work at a cafe and wear a name tag and this has happened to me so many times. XOXO

      Delete
  2. this is well thought out and written. The Let them know you feel their struggles only if you actually can is REALLY important.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, this is such a good list! I like it how loving people can actually be so simple, because the little things mean so much. Thanks for the little prompt! Loving people is always worth the effort. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jess!!!!! Loving people is simple and sadly we can complicate it. Love you! <3 <3 <3

      Delete
  4. Awwwwww this post is so cute!! Love it so so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so beautiful. I especially like the one about saying someone's name, because I can relate to that myself. When someone says my name when they're talking to me, I don't know... it just says to me that I'm important enough to them that my name is worth saying. That might sound kind of weird. But it's just a personal thing; like in our hearts we desire to be called by name.

    Lovely post. :)

    theonesthatreallymatter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you girl! I love your explanation of someone saying your name. It's so true!

      Delete


Comments make me smile, lift my spirits and give me the motivation to continue writing. In return I'll comment on your blog, because you're awesome and deserve it.