The Polygamist's Daughter {A Book Review}

8:06 AM



Nothing is more chilling then hearing about a cult, the insides when before you only caught an outside glimpse. "At age nine, I have forty-nine siblings," begins Anne LeBaron, the author of her memoir, The Polygamist's Daughter. Her father was the known murderer and polygamist whose illegal and chilling activities forced Anna and her her siblings to continually be on the run from the FBI. She couldn't grasp to a feeling of belonging and always lived in fear of what might happen next.
Here she shares her story.

First off, I got this book simply because I'm very interested in learning about anything related to other religions or cults because frankly this is a good witness base. If you learn about it then you know how to preach to the world. You can't go through life living in your own bubble and hope to relate to people, so since I read where Anne was from a branch of Mormonism, I instantly snatched up the book.
Yes, Anna's father is Mormon but from a different branch that he created himself. It's a very scary cult that he created, one that chills you to read. This is a heart-wrenching story to attempt to read, because you know it's real life and it kills you to read something like this, to feel the horrible journey of a young girl into adulting and what she experienced.
The writing style is beautiful and gripping, telling a story that keeps you sitting there. I think I read this book in one gulp and not because it's something you want to keep reading because in a way I was so ready to finish it, it was so horrible. I could say I loved this book but then it feels wrong because of the real-life content, so I will just say that this is a must-read memoir that anyone should read who wants to see one woman's journey out of darkness.
The pictures were an added bonus to make you feel more a part of the story and I constantly flipped back to see what her family looked like and to kinda get into her world more. But really it was so sad. I was shocked, blown away and really this is a book I won't be able to pick up and read again anytime in the near future. Maybe ever.
But the fact that Anna LeBaron was able to write this, to share her story with the world, is something that can only come from the grace of God. The way she ended this book was rich and really I think a lot of people need to take this by storm. I don't know if I would have had the guts to share all she did, but Anna's open and honesty is something the world needs more of.
I loved and hated this book, which is something you can only say about a haunting memoir. Read. It.

I got this book free from Tyndal in exchange for a review of my honest thoughts.

You Might Also Like

6 of your thoughts

  1. I have heard of this book before and been intrigued. Now I am doubly so! Time to go mark it as to-read on Goodreads!
    Thanks for sharing Kara!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes read this book! It's very intriguing and I enjoyed it as much as you can such a read.

      Delete
  2. Polygamists have always kind of creeped me out.... but the end of this book sounds pretty good. <3 I might have to try it...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I think you'd like it in a creepy sense. It's good because it's real life and it's someone sharing how they're rising out of the darkness. =)

      Delete
  3. Hi Kara,
    Thank you for the thoughtful and well-written review of my book. :)
    Anna LeBaron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU for taking the time to write the book and share your story with the world. <3 <3 <3

      Delete


Comments make me smile, lift my spirits and give me the motivation to continue writing. In return I'll comment on your blog, because you're awesome and deserve it.